If you would've asked me even just a year ago if I were more of a cold-weather or hot-weather kind of gal, I would've answered with "Winter, all the way." Obviously, winter means Christmas, snow, snuggles by the fireplace, mugs of hot chocolate, and dressing in cute, forgiving layers of clothing. But here's what I didn't realize - Summer with a kiddo is crazy fun.
We've been stocking the freezer with a minimum of 5 variations of popsicles, and B's loving all the water-time we've been having. If we're not swimming at the pool, we're playing in the backyard with the hose. She loves spraying Mali, and Mali (being half-Golden Retriever) loves the water. It's been so HOT, but we kind of dig it. I love how summer is so laid-back, and everything feels a little lighter. It's a good season.
Other things we're loving right now:
- Fruit & veggies: We're lucky to get them fresh year-round, but in the summer produce is just exceptionally good. I need to start a garden next year so we can at least have tomatoes. We have a small basil plant that's thriving. B loves to water it with me!
- Longer naps: Swimming takes it out of my little fish! She naps so long when we swim in the morning, and I'm getting really spoiled with the extra quiet time.
- Nakie life: This one applies most to B, haha. She's been living her best life just hanging out in her birthday suit + a diaper around the house.
- Sink baths: I've been bathing Miss Nakie Life multiple times a day, and it's just easier to throw her in the sink. I keep a little cake pedestal of baby wash, lotion, etc. near the sink for those occasions. She's almost too big for it, and it's killing me. (P.S. We took the photo below after a sink bath, and it was a sponsored post for Poppyseed Goods. Their gift boxes are SO good. I use everything from that box on a daily basis.)
- Podcasts on repeat: I mainly listen to Dax Shepard's podcast (Armchair Expert), a podcast by another local Wichitan that you have to check out (Letting the Light In by Kamri Phillippi), and a million Bachelor podcasts (faves: Here to Make Friends & Almost Famous). I put them on while I crank out design work during naptime, and it weirdly helps me focus.
Things I'm not loving right now though are all the pests that spring to life this time of year. If you saw my snake debacle on IG Stories a few weeks ago... just know I haven't been in the basement since, and no we never caught the darn guy. Other pests I've battled: 1 wasp and countless spiders. LUCKILY, we do not have ants this summer. We dealt with them last summer, and it was the grosssssest (probably made worse by the fact that I'm not great with dishes in the sink, and we did not have a dishwasher that summer - a story for another day.)
We're not planning any big family trips this summer, but will probably make some small trips to the lake or Kansas City by summer's end. After B's unexpected nap in the car a month ago, we were encouraged by the idea that she might nap in the car (B naps in her crib only, and that's how she rolls). Until then, we'll be enjoying the summer sun and I'll continue hoarding popsicles in my garage freezer.